As a new tenant in Chicago, it is crucial to ensure that you have a smooth move-in process. One way to do this is through a move-in walk thru report. This document allows you to inspect the rental property, noting any damages or issues that may exist, before moving in. Here's what you need to know about the Chicago-specific move-in walk thru checklist.
What is a move-in walk thru checklist?
A move-in walk thru checklist is a document that you can use to keep track of the condition of your new rental property. It involves inspecting the rental unit and noting any issues, such as damages or repairs that need fixing. This process helps protect tenants from being blamed for pre-existing damage when they move out.
Why is a move-in walk thru checklist necessary in Chicago?
In Chicago, the law requires landlords to provide tenants with a move-in walk thru checklist. The tenant has the responsibility of filling out and returning the form to the landlord within five days of receiving it. This step helps protect both the tenant and landlord in case of any legal issues that may arise in the future.
What should you include in a move-in walk thru checklist?
When creating a move-in walk thru checklist, you should ensure you include the following:
1. Your name and the landlord's name and contact information.
2. The date of the walk thru.
3. A detailed description of each room's condition, including walls, floors, ceilings, windows, and doors.
4. Any appliances, fixtures, or equipment that come with the rental property, such as kitchen appliances or lighting fixtures.
5. Note any pre-existing damages, including scratches, dents, or signs of wear and tear.
6. Take pictures and video of the rental unit, and ensure that they are dated, labeled, and saved as evidence.
7. Finally, have the landlord or property manager present during the walk thru, and both parties should sign the move-in walk thru checklist.
In conclusion, a move-in walk thru checklist is crucial when renting property in Chicago, as it helps protect both the tenant and landlord against any future legal issues that may arise. Make sure to take this important step before moving into a new rental unit.
Check our Tenant Placement Only service and reduce vacancy rates.
Chicago Investor Resources Shared
- House Hacking Calculator
- Rent Vs Sell Calculator
- Chicago Investor Real Estate Meetup (Virtual & In Person)
- FHA Loan Limits For 2023 (Breaking News)
- Survival Guide For Self Managers - 15 Tips Chicago Landlords Must Know(Especially House Hackers)
- Need A Responsive Property Manager?
Need More Info?
Should I Rent or Sell