As a landlord, there are many situations where working with an experienced housing attorney can benefit you significantly. Housing attorneys specialize in legal issues pertaining to real estate, property management, and the landlord-tenant relationship. Some of the key reasons landlords should consider partnering with a housing attorney include:
• Lease drafting: Housing attorneys can draft customized leases that protect your interests as a landlord. They will ensure your leases comply with all local ordinances and incorporate provisions for things like rent increases, subleasing, maintenance, and eviction. Well-drafted leases can prevent issues from arising and provide legal protection.
• Eviction: If you need to evict a tenant for non-payment of rent or other lease violations, a housing attorney can handle the eviction process properly according to the law. They will issue the required notices, file the eviction lawsuit, represent you in court, and take other necessary actions to legally remove the tenant from the property.
• Litigation: If a tenant pursues legal action against you regarding the property or tenancy, a housing attorney can defend you in court. They can also file counterclaims against tenants if needed. Housing attorneys are experienced in handling landlord-tenant litigation and can advocate for your best interests.
• Ordinance compliance: Housing attorneys stay up-to-date with ordinances like the Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance (RLTO) and can advise you on compliance. They can review your leases, policies, and procedures to ensure they align with current laws. By complying with ordinances, you can avoid potential legal issues.
• Property taxes: Housing attorneys have experience disputing property tax assessments and can appeal your taxes if they seem excessive. They understand property tax law and can build a case to potentially lower your tax burden. Reducing property taxes can save you substantial money each year.
For Chicago landlords, a housing attorney is an invaluable resource and partner. While attorney fees may seem like an added expense, the legal counsel and services housing attorneys provide can end up saving you significantly in the long run. With so much at stake as a landlord, having expert legal guidance gives you peace of mind and helps avoid costly mistakes.
BUT!!!!!!! You don’t need to get nervous about all the issues you can expect, hire a property manager today and just watch how your property works for you. Contact us today!
Unlock the Secrets to Successful Renovations and Maintenance! Click here to get your FREE copy of the ebook '15 TIPS CHICAGO LANDLORDS MUST KNOW' and master the essential guidelines for self-managing landlords.
Need More Info?
Should I Rent or Sell